The International Bar Association (IBA) annual professional symposium, organized by ISDE and the Spanish Arbitration Club, took place last week at the Madrid Bar Association headquarters.
The conference that had a high number of participants, counted with the presence of relevant speakers such as:
• David Cairns. Lawyer specialized in arbitration from Cremades & Asociados, Madrid.
• Yas Banifatemi. Partner in Shearman & Sterling’s International Arbitration Group and leads the firm’s Public International Law Practice in Paris.
• Brooks Daly. Deputy Secretary-General and Principal Legal Counsel at the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague.
• José Ricardo Feris. Legal Advisor for the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris.
• Alejando López Ortiz. Lawyer specialized in arbitration from Lovells LLP, Madrid.
• Deva Villanúa. Lawyer specialized in arbitration from Armesto & Asociados, Madrid.
All of them agreed on the extraordinary growth that the international arbitration is having recently, as well as on the need of having professionals with the specific education to resolve arbitration conflicts. In order to get this objective it was offered the possibility to do some training, both, at the Court of International Commerce and at the Court of International Arbitration, for those who were starting their professional careers in this field.
Once the conference was over, took place a cocktail where the speakers and the participants were able to exchange impressions and ideas in a relaxing and friendly environment.